As a term and a technology, artificial intelligence (AI) is not a new one for academics. You’d be surprised to learn that this technology is far older than you think. Even in ancient Greek and Egyptian mythology, there exist stories of mechanical men. A list of AI milestones may be found below, detailing the path from the first AI generation to today’s progress.
Milestone in the Origin of A.I
- Warren McCulloch and Walter Pits published the first AI paper in 1943. They came up with a model of artificial neurons, which they presented.
- A rule for altering the strength of connections between neurons was developed by Donald Hebb, and it was proved by him. It is now known as Hebbian learning, after his rule.
- Mathematician Alan Turing is credited with the invention of artificial intelligence (AI) in the year 1950. Turing proposes a test in his book “Computing Machinery and Intelligence.” Known as a Turing test, the exam can determine whether the computer is capable of exhibiting intelligent behaviour comparable to human brain.
Birth of A.I ( Year 1952-56 )
- As early as 1955, Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon produced “Logic Theorist,” the “first artificial intelligence software.” For several theorems, it found fresh and elegant proofs. At the Dartmouth Conference in 1956, computer scientist John McCarthy coined the term “artificial intelligence.” For the first time, artificial intelligence was recognised as a legitimate academic topic.
Golden years of A.I (1956-1974)
- The researchers focused on inventing algorithms that could answer mathematical problems in the year 1966 When Joseph Weizenbaum built the first chatbot, dubbed ELIZA, it was in 1966.The year 1972: In Japan, WABOT-1, the first sentient humanoid robot, was developed.
A.I Winter (1974-1993)
- The first AI winter period lasted from 1974 until 1980. In the AI winter, computer scientists had to contend with a significant lack of government funding for AI research. Public interest in artificial intelligence waned throughout the AI winter months. In 1987-1993, the AI Winter lasted for a second time. Investors and governments have once again ceased financing AI research owing to its high cost and ineffective results. It was highly economical to use an expert system such as XCON
Blast of A.I (1980-1987)
- An expert system was introduced in 1980, following AI’s “winter” period. In order to simulate the decision-making capacity of a human expert, computer programmers were developed. American Association of Artificial Intelligence’s inaugural national conference was conducted at Stanford University in 1980.
Adaptation of Artificial Intelligence(1993-2011)
- IBM Deep Blue defeats Gary Kasparov in 1997, becoming the first computer to defeat a global chess champion.The year 2002: Roomba, a vacuum cleaner, was the first AI device to enter the household.
- Until the year 2006, Artificial Intelligence (AI) was not widely used in business. Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix are among the companies that have begun to use artificial intelligence.
Using deep data, deep learning, and artificial general intelligence (2011-present)
- During the year 2011, IBM’s Watson won the quiz programme Jeopardy by solving the most difficult questions and puzzles. There was no doubt in my mind that Watson understood normal language and was capable of solving difficult problems swiftly and efficiently.” Google now” was an Android app that provided users with information based on a prediction.
- Chatbot Eugene Goostman won the famed Turing test in 2014. It was a great year for IBM’s “Project Debater,” which competed against two master debaters on hard issues. A Google AI software called “Duplex” took a hairdresser’s appointment over the phone, and the person on the other end didn’t realize that she was talking to a machine.
- Now, AI has reached a phenomenal degree of development. Deep learning, big data, and data science are currently in vogue. Google, Facebook, IBM, and Amazon are just a few of the firms that are using AI to create incredible gadgets. Inspiring and intelligent, artificial intelligence’s future is bright.